Friday, October 16, 2015

October 17, 2015
    I'm tired and it's only 7 pm.  I've been at this computer for a long time today making copies of my art on fabric to make a quilt.   It could be great--- or not.  Audrey and Ryan showed me how and I did fine until the last one and for some reason I couldn't enlarge it.  There is always tomorrow.  The printable fabric is very expensive so I think I'll wait until next month to buy more.
     The How to Listen to Music class was excellent again.  I took Beryl Van Horn with me and she wants to go again and thinks her husband would really like it.  My driving didn't seem to make her nervous until I pulled into a parking space crooked and kept backing up to get it right. That caused her to exclaim "Chyrrel your driving me crazy!"  That was at my eye doctors appointment.  Dr. Snow Slade lazered my right eye this time and had a harder time as it wouldn't stay open and he had to prop it open with some metal device that hurt and I couldn't see out of it for 24 hours.  That made driving home interesting because I sailed through a stop sign, not bein g able to see on that side.  Beryl kept asking to drive--no luck.  This is the sweet young docter who promised me he wouldn't let me go blind from glaucoma or macular degeneration.  I didn't dare look in the mirror until the next day.
     In class we learned about fugues which are unity and variety and listened to Bach's Fugue in G minor.  Fugue means flight and that is what it sounds like. There is a subject and then a sub subject and then a sub subject etc.  Different instruments introduce the subjects.  I heard clarinet, flute,viola, violin,bass, flute(echoes),tuba.  The whole thing is played in a minor key and then ends in a major key.  She played "A Little Night Music" by                  which has a theme and then a second and then comes back to the first.
Lastly she played Beethoven's Fifth. which has the familiar rhythm of /// \  /// \  This goes through out the piece.  An oboe cadenza is used for a break  No one had ever done this before.  He uses it to relax us.
Beethoven wrote a storm and then everyone tried to.  Brahms didn't dare try to until he was forty. Beethoven used french horn on cadenza between two themes.  He tossed two notes back and forth and then just one.  She thinks his music is right up there with Bach.  She played a Cannon by Brahms  but acted like she didn't like it as much because he never changed keys.  She played "Rhapsody on a theme by Paganini" by
Rachmoninoff which ends on a very soft piano.
     Next Wednesday I hope to be going to three classes "Poetry." "Mark Twain" and  "How to Listen to Music."

No comments:

Post a Comment