Thursday, September 3, 2015

ris

             Time passes ---a lot of time--- and I want to catch up quickly.  While at Golden Mesa I saw a flyer that advertised a studio apartment the same size as mine for about $600 less a month  I thought about it for a second and decided it would be foolish of me not to move.  I called and found it was taken but the boss was willing to move me into a one bedroom at the same price until a  studio became available. The Village at Northrise had all the same amenities of three three course meals a day, pool and hot tub, pet friendly, exercise classes and movies twice a week plus one added benefit- covered car parking.  Brad and family, Connie and family, and good home teachers were happy to move me over.  I was 7 months at Golden Mesa and a year at Hallmark Independent living.  I made some lasting friendships and enjoyed having most of the tenants enjoy my dog Dixie. However institution food is not home cooking and I found I was trying to find ways to get Robin to invite me over on Sundays.  They were happy to do that.
             I'll always remember some of the gentle souls I met. Shirley and her mildly alzheimeric husband Stan. She was the first to befriend me and cared for all of us in the same loving way she did Stan.  I helped her with the outdoor watering until my back said "No".  We have kept up an exchange of lettters.  Nina Sheldnick whose friendship went way back in the church.  She is now on Dialysis.  Father Michael,  who complained about my dog, my grandchildren and informed me he was far too educated to read the Book of Mormon. His loss.   Chuck, next door, who was rotund, in a wheelchair, and cooked all his own meals. He liked to play Rummy Cube with me.  Tom who was forgetful about the present but told me all about his adventures in the 2nd world war as he was at the very top mast with glasses that would spot the Kamakazy planes as they came over the horizan and could notify the computers in the bowls of the ship to alert the guns to shoot them before they got close  He told me of his career as an artist drawing blueprints for  architects. Sadley he was eventually moved to the alzheimers building.  I played the piano, almost daily  before meals.  Many people were appreciative of that.  I just played from a simplfied Classical book and easy to play old love songs.  The hot tub never did get fixed but I enjoyed the pool. However, I hated the thought that I might spend the rest of my life at the Village of Northrise. To many of my friends were dying or moving on.
             The ward I had moved into was great.  I was immediately put to work as a visiting teacher supervisor and pianist in Relief Society, attended Bodie Davises mother's funeral with sweet memories of her staying in my home when her husband was in the hospital in Las Cruces and the afgan she crocheted me. The only one I have and use.  I had a wonderful visiting teacher Susan Wood.  We had known each other many years back when we belonged to the same book group.  We hit it off then and now were good chums.  She was a runner then and still is running numerous miles a day.
             I don't know if it was my idea or Barbara's that we try living together.  If I payed her a thousand dollars a month rent  (that would save me $440.00) I would have a home and she could pay off her school debts. I told Robin.  She didn't act happy "We moved you four times, we're not moving you again!" I was excited.  I started loading my things in a shoping cart and filling my car. I made five trips to Connies and unloaded in her garage then they came to my rescue.  I gave away or sold everything else in my place.  Of course Brad moved the bed etc. for the fifth time.  I stayed at Connies for a week. Barbara came-- and off we went to Hurricane, Utah.

  

















No comments:

Post a Comment